Monday, April 2, 2018

Interview with Children's Book Author Teresa A. McKeown @abcskids


Theresa McKeown spent over two decades in the entertainment arena before embracing her true passion of writing children’s books. After producing hundreds of hours of television for a host of cable and network outlets, Theresa is now on the path of what she considers her highest calling.
Theresa and her sisters have created “The ABC’s of Everything, LLC”, a family endeavor solely focused on publishing several series of children’s books, digital content, and educational curriculums.  All will be written and produced with an awareness of the true possibilities that children of the 21st century can realize.  

 As an author, Theresa is dedicated to estimating rather than underestimating the wisdom of children. Her philosophy is that kids are fully adept at understanding nuance and meaning and it’s not necessary to talk down to them.  She is dedicated to creating a new paradigm in the children's book world by introducing work that fully embraces the insightfulness, perception and unlimited intellectual potential of today’s youth.

Her books are meant to plant the seeds of education and awareness early in a child’s development, knowing full well that children will ultimately blossom into the best versions of who they are meant to be.

In her role as producer, Theresa traveled worldwide, filming from locations as diverse as the White House, NORAD, the Pentagon, FBI headquarters, maximum-security prisons and from the top of the World Trade Center.  Along the way she "tail-hooked" onto an aircraft carrier in the Pacific, yachted through South America with jet setters and chased bad guys with the LAPD in a helicopter.  She survived both OJ Simpson trials, shot live from heart of the LA Riots and drove through a wall of flames during the Laguna fires.  Yet, with a background like this, building a community to celebrate children promises to be the most exciting adventure of all.

As George Elliot once said, “It’s never too late to become who you might have been”.

…Words this author has taken to heart.

WEBSITE & SOCIAL LINKS:

WEBSITE | TWITTER | FACEBOOK


About the Book:

"The ABCs of Living Green” completes the ABC trilogy of picture books focused on raising happy, healthy, conscious children in body, mind and spirit. Written from the voice of Mother Earth, every
letter of the alphabet and corresponding word gives readers a multitude of fun ways to be mindful not only of the planet we all share, but of the people with whom we share it. A book that focuses on the beauty and fulfillment of stepping up and doing our part in taking care of the environment and each other, "The ABCs of Living Green" is truly a book for the enlightened child of the 21st century.

ORDER YOUR COPY:

Amazon



Thanks for this interview, Theresa.  I’ve always wanted to write children’s books.  When did you determine that writing for children was for you?

About 25 years ago my mom gave me some original writings from my father, who passed away when I was very young.  He had begun a couple of children’s stories, with the idea that each would be a series. All were entirely in rhyme and were just adorable, but unfinished.  I realized that I had been writing poetry for years, mostly for friends and family, and realized that our writing style was almost identical.  It got me thinking, “Maybe I can finish what my father began”.  And so I gave it a try and before I knew it, I was writing stories for kids.  And now, I feel him by my side every time I write a children’s book.  It’s wonderful way to keep his spirit alive in my life and I just love it.

What was the inspiration behind your children’s book, The ABCs of Being Green”? 

Watching the news for the past few years and seeing more and more disharmony not only among people in our country, but throughout the world, I just felt compelled to put some positive messaging out there.  It felt like a call to action.  It really became clear to me that the planet could use a blast of loving and connective words more than ever before.  So, I just tuned into my heart and the heart of humanity and the words began to flow. 

How do you get into the mind of a child to create a fun reading experience?

When I’m around children, I find access to the part of me that can see the world in the most beautiful and innocent way.  I pick up on their wonder and curiosity and true excitement about the beginning of a new day when kids are near.  So I look at life through their eyes and find that I just want to write words that will inspire and educate them in some small way.  And since I always write in rhyme, I think it makes the reading and learning of new words easier.  Plus it adds a fun element to the experience.  Almost like a song.  I try to keep things playful but still meaningful, so their reading experience is fulfilling on more than one level. 

Are you around kids?

I’m around kids all the time now that I’m out doing events with schools and at festivals.  And my nieces and nephews have children, so I’m not just an aunt, but also a great-aunt.  I’m still wrapping my head around that one. 

Are you a kid at heart?

I am absolutely a kid at heart!  I’m still in awe of the wonders of life and always curious to learn new things.  I assume the best in people and have somehow managed to keep a sense of blamelessness about the world.  Not to mention, I love Disneyland, fun games, and play-dates.  J

What was your favorite book as a child?

“The Cat in the Hat”.  Hands down.  Dr. Seuss is my idol.  I’d like to think that there’s a similarity in our writing style and I hope to some day publish as many books as he has. 

What kind of advice would you give writers who would like to write children’s books?

I would advise writers to fearlessly write from the heart.  Don’t worry about how many other children’s books are out there.  Don’t worry about how you’ll be perceived.  Don’t even worry about how long it takes to sell your books.  Just tune into the spirit of the child that still lives within you and let the words flow from there.  You may be surprised at how easily you’ll be inspired to create stories that will uplift and educate the next stewards of the world. 

What are your goals for the future? 

Ultimately, my goal is to create a community - through books and other creative content - that is dedicated to serving the children of the 21st century.  This is a generation unlike any before – they are intelligent, evolved and enlightened and need messaging that is on their level.  I want to respect them by creating content that speaks to the child of today, not the child of days gone by.  These kids can heal our planet and I want to do my part to help them expand their hearts and minds in any way I can.

More children’s books?

More children’s books are on the horizon, for sure.  I have a vision of an entire shelf of a bookcase filled with them.  After all, maybe it’s time for a female version of Dr. Seuss to come into the world.  I know that sounds lofty, but if I’m not willing to dream big, how can I inspire kids to do the same?

No comments:

Post a Comment