Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Interview with Children's Book Author Anne Kaufmann


Anne Kaufmann is both the illustrator and author of the Pippin and Nigel adventure series for young children. She is the also the author of “Glenn Gould: Sketches of Solitude.” Anne is a former teacher librarian. She studied English Literature at Wilfrid Laurier University and the University of Toronto. Her passions include music, books, animals and creating nature journals. She has shared her life with dogs, horses, cats and birds.A nature lover, she spends many hours exploring the forests north of her home and walking her dogs, Indy, Maya and Pippin. She loves spending time with her horse, Aria. Some of her favourite childhood memories include summers at her cottage on Lake Simcoe, settling back on the family couch reading while listening to her dad’s weekly String Quartet group, playing with her dogs and wishing for a horse. She is currently working on the third book of the Pippin and Nigel Adventure series and  a historical fiction novel on the great Canadian horse and Kentucky Derby winner, Northern Dancer. She lives in Ontario, Canada.

Thanks for this interview, Anne.  I’ve always wanted to write children’s books.  When did you determine that writing for children was for you?

I was an elementary teacher and then a teacher librarian for many years. I loved reading to the children. I was as excited about the delightful stories as they were. There always seemed to be something I could relate to as well. Children loved asking questions about the stories, characters and illustrations. There were lively discussions and many times their answers were insightful, at times, funny and always honest. Many of these books captured the children's imagination and encouraged them to work through their own thoughts and feelings.  

The children's books caught my youthful fancy too. They frequently ushered me back to my childhood and the precious story hours with my grandmother. I was struck by the reading 'bug' that continued all my life. So when I decided to write, I was drawn to children's literature.


What was the inspiration behind your children’s book, That'll Do Pippin?

Dogs have constantly been in my life and by my side. They were my playmates and my confidants. There were many dogs in my neighbourhood. Every close childhood friend included a dog. Whether it was a baseball game, a soccer game, an imaginary made up story to act, a bike ride or a skating party our dogs were with us.

I have had many wonderful dog breeds sharing my life, but have always been consistently drawn to the Border Collie's charisma. They are smart, playful, wise and a "take charge" kind of dog.

Pippin is my dog. He came from a working farm. When he was a pup, he was a most comical, gentle boy and he looked like a little cartoon character. His brother Nigel was the leader of the litter, who took command of any playtime. He now happily lives in the United States, excelling in the dog sport, Agility. Pippin and Nigel are delightful but distinctive and unique personalities. I thought they might be two appealing characters for a children's book. 

How do you get into the mind of a child to create a fun reading experience?  Are you around kids?  Are you a kid at heart?

 Many children went through my school library. I would have story times and book studies with at least four to five classes a day (about 200 students). The children loved discussing the books and asking questions. They seemed to believe in the characters and their stories and feelings. Reading and working on book projects were for me a rewarding time and enabled me experience the books through the eyes of the children.
I suppose I am a kid at heart. I still love children's stories, picture books and novels.

What was your favorite book as a child?

I didn't have one favourite book. When I was four years, a book called The Penny Puppy was a daily request. I heard it so many times that I knew the whole story word for word. Naturally, the next new dog/animal story was often my favourite.
In later years, I loved the Anne of Green Gables series, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, The Wind in the Willows and Black Beauty. I enjoyed mysteries (even adult ones, particularly Agatha Christie). Farley Mowat's books, especially The Dog Who Wouldn't Be touched my heart.  

What kind of advice would you give writers who would like to write children’s books?

 Have fun! Stretch your imagination! Familiarity with your subject taps into your own experiences and emotions. Even if the story sounds impractical, just go for it. Children are clever. They love reading about the impossible becoming possible. They embrace unlikely heroes. They want to believe in the characters and their journeys.

What are your goals for the future?  More children’s books?

I wrote a Junior level children's non-fiction book, Glenn Gould: Sketches of Solitude before the Pippin books.

 A second book for the That'll Do Pup series, Pippin and Nigel's Christmas Adventure, was published around the same time as That'll Do Pippin. I am working on a third That'll Do Pup book.

I am on final revisions of a historical fiction book, Northern Dancer: A Stable Girl's Journey for YA on the great Canadian racehorse and Kentucky Derby winner, Northern Dancer.

About the Book:



Pippin and Nigel are two charming puppy brothers who live on a wonderful farm. They are best buddies and do everything together. They are full of mischief, energy and fun! Pippin is the smaller puppy who wants with all his heart to be like his brother Nigel. Nigel is brave. Nigel is strong. Nigel is smart. One day, the puppies escape from their yard into the woods where they experience many adventures. Nigel is always there to help and protect Pippin. Then Pippin solves a dangerous problem all by himself and learns that it is okay just to be Pippin.
This story teaches young children the importance of believing in themselves and that they each have their own wonderful gifts and abilities.

ORDER YOUR COPY:




No comments:

Post a Comment