Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Interview with Children's Book Author Alison Neuman






Alison Neuman is a writer, author, choreographer, and dance artist, who is passionate about sharing underrepresented voices. She holds a Bachelor’s of Applied Communications Degree, a diploma in Professional Writing, and a Master of Arts degree with a focus on Educational Studies.

WEBSITE & SOCIAL LINKS:

Website: www.alisonneuman.ca
Blog: http://www.alisonneuman.ca/blog/
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/Alison_Neuman
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/alisonneuman.ca
Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/4375290.Alison_Neuman

About the Book

Fluffy, the cat, knew the minute she met Levi that he would become fast friends with the friendly mouse using a special wheelchair. In the third installment of their adventures, join Fluffy, Levi, and his family on their final leg of adventure to find their forever homes together.

ORDER YOUR COPY

Amazon → https://amzn.to/2Va96Ox

Smashwords → https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/1015552

Thanks for this interview, Alison.  I’ve always wanted to write children’s books.  When did you determine that writing for children was for you?

Thank you for hosting me on your blog. It was just a few years ago when I decided I would like to explore writing for children because of the quality of the books that were in the market. I rediscovered children’s books within the past few years as I was reading aloud to my mom, who had dementia. The books we read would take my mom and me on an adventure beyond our manual wheelchair and our bodies experiencing
challenges due to our health.

What was the inspiration behind your children’s book, Home?

Home is the last book in the Friends and Family Series. I started the first book in the series called Don't Eat Family, about a cat (Fluffy) who meets a mouse (Levi) experiencing a disability, and they become friends. My mom's childhood pet inspired the cat, and the mouse experiencing a disability is the literary character I wished I had to identify with when I was a child. The follow-up book, Help From Friends, was about ability and adventures between friends. Home explores the journey of memories and friendships as Fluffy brings her friend Levi and his family back to the safety of her home.


How do you get into the mind of a child to create a fun reading experience?  Are you around kids?  Are you a kid at heart?

To create an enjoyable reading experience, I found being around children and hearing their discussions helped in the writing process of the book. I have friends who have children and they have provided talks and visits to let their children influence the content and experiences in the series. Yes, I am a kid at heart because I still find wonder in the world and excitement in activities and new adventures.

What was your favorite book as a child?

While I had so many books in which I loved as a child, one of my favourites was Ramona the Pest, by Beverly Cleary, and also the Nancy Drew series.

What kind of advice would you give writers who would like to write children’s books?

Read lots in the children’s genre in which you wish to write, so you have an idea about the content, language, and topics of stories.


What are your goals for the future?  More children’s books?

My goals for the future are to pursue writing more books, the first of which being a project I have been working on for several years called Hindsight. Hindsight is about a young woman, Olivia, who is experiencing a disability and balancing University and work, grieving the loss of a parent, and searching for love. She begins researching a story for her university paper and discovers a secret that, when revealed, will threaten not only her life but also her family and love. I intend to write more children’s books in the future and have some new characters and adventures percolating.

No comments:

Post a Comment