Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Interview with Children's Book Author Danica-Lea Larcombe @danicalea


Danica-Lea Larcombe has a B.Sc (Environmental Health), a Grad.Dip in Education and has taken courses in Journalism, Travel Writing, and Photography. She is currently undertaking a thesis in Biodiversity and Human Health, and lives with her Japanese Spitz Bella.
                                                                                       

WEBSITE & SOCIAL LINKS:

WEBSITE | TWITTER | FACEBOOK



About the Book:

George, Fiona and Marni find a tin of bubbles, not just any ordinary bubbles but planets. The planets shrink the children and take them to faraway lands. The children have many exciting adventures and try not to let their secret be discovered.  They learn about different cultures, currencies and languages, and are inspired at school.

In Series Two, George, Marni and Fiona continue their adventures around the world in the planet bubbles. They narrowly escape being killed by some monks in Turkey, find a little companion in Paris and visit royalty in Monaco.

ORDER YOUR COPY:

Amazon | Barnes & Noble




Thanks for this interview, Danica-Lea.  I’ve always wanted to write children’s books.  When did you determine that writing for children was for you?

I have always had an active imagination but it was not until I was on holiday on my own in Broome, Western Australia that I tried writing for children.  I had left an old life overseas and I was excited about starting a brand new chapter.  Sitting at a cafĂ© overlooking the beach one day I suddenly got inspired to write.

What was the inspiration behind your children’s book, Snickety Dickety Doo?

I had invented planet characters years before (again while on holiday), drawn them and not done anything with them.  I decided to turn them into transportable bubbles and combine them with my travel experiences in over 20 countries. I also decided to incorporate links to my family and experiences growing up as a child in New Zealand.

How do you get into the mind of a child to create a fun reading experience?  Are you around kids?  Are you a kid at heart?

I am a trained early childhood teacher and have always loved being around children, plus I think I am big kid sometimes too!

What was your favorite book as a child?

Enid Blyton’s Faraway Tree

What kind of advice would you give writers who would like to write children’s books?

To make children’s books a fun learning experience.

What are your goals for the future?  More children’s books? 

I have two series of Snickety Dickety Doo, and I plan to continue the series with more adventures when I have finished my PhD thesis next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment