Friday, January 31, 2020

Book Review: 'Twas the Night by Marin

Title: 'Twas the Night
Author: Marin
Publisher: The Virtue Agency
Pages: 32
Genre: Children’s Picture Book
‘TWAS THE NIGHT is a wordless book that “tells” a heartwarming and inspirational Christmas story. The illustrations gift each reader, young and young at heart, the opportunity to reimagine the Season’s wonder, and the freedom “to script” (if they choose to) their own lines to go with the images. Keep dreaming big!
 
Book Review:

This was the funnest children's picture book I have ever 'read' and I say 'read' superfluously because this is a wordless picture book. Yes! Believe me, I've never heard of a children's picture book but for my first one, this was great and that's not even coming close to describe it. I'm not kidding you either. Okay what we have here for example...the book opens with a child in a wheelchair in the dark in what looks to me to be a city in the background. It is Christmas time so there's a tree lit up in the background. Without going further, I would wonder what a kid in a wheelchair was doing at night alone in the city. So here you go - no words so you are to make up a story out of your imagination. Is he homeless? Nah I doubt it. Does he look starved? Not really, has nice clothes and everything so then you're still wondering what he's doing out at night but before I go further into the story I've got to make up a story while reading to my grandkids. So what I did was mention to the kids that the kid wasn't alone so don't think that's okay to do. So anyway as more pages are turned I realized the kid was older, but in the first scenes it looked like he wasn't. And I lied. No way could I tell the kids that the kid wasn't alone. He was. So skipping over the why you don't go out at night in the big city alone speech, I kept on with my story. He finds a bird who is injured and takes it back home. Feeds and nurses it back to health, then lets it out the window to be free again. But before you know it, the kid is flying out the window himself and you see Santa Claus in the background. You don't know if it's a dream or what but it's totally up to you to make up a story to go along with the illustrations. It was rather fun. After the first go around, I came up with another storyline and the kids thought it was rather funny because it was nothing like the first storyline. If this author get a notion to write a sequel to this, I hope he would because it's really a very unique idea.

I give it 5 rainbows!


No comments:

Post a Comment