Monday, January 6, 2020

Interview with Children's Picture Book Author Marin




My name is Marin and I was a child a very long time ago. My father passed away when I was one year old. My mother remarried and I was raised by my loving (but strict!) grandparents. After losing their son, they were terrified by the thought of losing their grandson. For this reason, they didn’t let me play on the street, swim in the nearby pond or explore the forest with the rest of the kids. This was also the reason I learned to read and write long before I went to school. My grandparents surrounded me with books. Books became my imaginary parents and my fictional friends. Apart from my genetic building blocks, books also came to be the main component in my development as a creative, compassionate and competitive individual.

I studied nuclear physics, art, and literature, but I enjoyed art the most. As a young artist, I was eager to succeed, winning prizes from various countries. I later became a partner in an advertising agency and switched my attention to serving clients. My last award was somewhere in the early nineties – The Best in the West by Corel Draw Corporation.

Oh, a few more boring things about me: I do not drive, I do not drink carbonated beverages, I have never consumed food from McDonald’s, Burger King, KFC or any other fast food restaurant, I do not have a mobile phone, I have never used legal or illegal drugs (except Gravol when I fly), and I have never visited my GP (much to the disapproval of my wife).

I read. I read every day. I am what I am today because of books. This publishing house is my little “thank you” to all of them.

Website  → http://www.fontreal.com

Twitter  → http://www.twitter.com/fontralbooks

Facebook  → http://www.facebook.com/fontreal/

 

About the Book

‘TWAS THE NIGHT is a wordless book that “tells” a heartwarming and inspirational Christmas story. The illustrations gift each reader, young and young at heart, the opportunity to reimagine the Season’s wonder, and the freedom “to script” (if they choose to) their own lines to go with the images. Keep dreaming big!

Order at https://fontreal.com/landing-2/ 

Thanks for this interview, Marin.  I’ve always wanted to write children’s books.  When did you determine that writing for children was for you?

When I finished writing, illustrating, and designing my first book “The Adventure of Alex and Er,” I was suddenly flooded with ideas. The final series titled 2GETHER contained five titles, but I was nowhere near finished. Over the course of two years I created a dozen books. I got totally hooked! I fell in love with the creative process so much that I craft every inch of my books, even down to the fonts to make my publications one-of-a-kind. 

What was the inspiration behind your children’s book, ‘TWAS THE NIGHT?

Believe it or not our crooked world of consumerism lies at the foundation of the story. I wanted to show a world of compassion, a world of kindness, a world of Christmas wonder. I also wanted to find a unique way of manifesting my dream-like story. This is why I made ‘TWAS THE NIGHT a wordless book. I love knowing that the “reader” will become my creative partner and they will each develop a unique version using their imagination guided by my illustrations. I hope the book will become one of the most inspirational children’s stories ever published.

How do you get into the mind of a child to create a fun reading experience?  Are you around kids?  Are you a kid at heart?

One thing that immediately connects me with kids is that we share wild imaginations. I fondly remember making up stories at bedtime for my kids and they just rolled off my tongue. Currently I am not around kids, as all my children are grown, but am I a kid at heart? Maybe a little…

What was your favorite book as a child?

I loved too many to name a favourite. I grew up with my grandparents who always gave me books; some of them were far too complicated for my little mind. Nonetheless, I read them, though many of the words were strange and meant nothing to me at the time. I thank them for exposing me to a variety of genres and instilling me with a desire to learn more about the world I was surrounded with.

What kind of advice would you give writers who would like to write children’s books?

Do not be in a hurry to publish - perfect the story as much as you can.

What are your goals for the future?  More children’s books?

I would like to create as many as I can, although volume is something I do not really pay attention to. If a good idea comes to mind, I go with it… so far the creative fountain is bubbling with ideas.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment