Thursday, February 10, 2022

Book Review: Nomophobia by JD Wise



Title: NOMOPHOBIA
Author: JD Wise
Pages: 28
Genre: Children’s Picture Book

BOOK BLURB:

Welcome to NOMOPHOBIA – A PLACE IN TIME WHERE OVERUSED CELLULAR DEVICES TURN CHILDREN INTO OGRES.

This is a somewhat true, mostly exaggerated story of modern-day children – children who have spent way too much time on their phones. One night the children are mysteriously turned into ogres. At first the children blame each other for their condition. When they finished blaming each other, they worked together to find a cure. They searched the house for a cure…but they could not find one. They tried to wash the ogre off…but it stayed on.

They had all but given up when sissy’s phone accidently falls into the fish tank. When the phone gets wet, a hidden message appears: YOU WERE TURNED INTO OGRES, BECAUSE ON THE PHONE YOU DID STAY! NOW, PUT IT AWAY AND GO OUT AND PLAY!

So the children rushed outside, where they returned to normal. That day the children learned a valuable lesson. OVERUSED CELL PHONES TURN CHILDREN INTO OGRES.

Review:

Before I give you my review, I have to tell you a true story. I was behind a busload of kids coming home from school. As soon as each one of their little feetsies hit the gravel, they were on their cell phones and it made me say right out loud, "Boy if that isn't the sign of the times." I can't really knock owning a cell phone as a child. I'm sure I would have been doing the same thing had I had one back then. But I'm kinda glad I didn't because I would have joined thousands upon thousands of other little kids who relied on wifi to round out my world. Not that gleaming information from the information highway wasn't a bad thing, but cell phones I think kinda take away from the whole experience of being a child.

Nomophobia was a cute little book with awesome illustrations. Instead of sounding preachy, we read a story about kids who suddenly in their sleep wake up looking green. Well, they're ogres. Nothing they can do will change them back to their original cell-loving kid bodies. The story tells us how the kids tried to find ways to get rid of their ogre-ness and with the illustrations, they were downright hilarious. I won't tell you how they got out of it (if they did of course) but this book is such an enjoyable read.

With that said, I loved loved loved Nomophobia.  

NOMOPHOBIA is available at Amazon at 
https://amzn.to/3Fwczvq

No comments:

Post a Comment